Thursday, July 8, 2010

Gee- aRe- you there gods its mE, ashley?

" May the judge disappear and the philosopher continue the peaceful exploration of the sea! If his destiny be strange, it is also sublime. Have I not understood it myself?"- Jean Fremon

A telling quote that I hope will agitate the dead winds of inertia to move my soul towards inspiration and action in this self-proclaimed project. I have made little progress in stepping outside my normal '"Agonis" methods of scholarship, whereby knowledge acquisition is propelled by ego and achieved by means of contest for spectacle. My noble intention in pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge was quickly vanquished by a depreciating self-esteem. So far, the only sea I am peacefully exploring is the choppy waters of the GRE prep book! My minimal success to score perfectly has shifted my efforts for self- enlightenment into a wantonly extravagant state of self-pity. The judge is still casting aspersions my way and the philosopher is continually disrupted by listlessness at sea. Oh, how I wait for the sublime and the torture of self-introspection to end!

2 comments:

  1. Why make a demon of introspection? Why tell the narrative of how your introspection is "torture?"

    And why SHOULDN'T the acquisition of knowledge be propelled by ego? Your sails have be grow fulsome with some wind or another, and if the winds of egotism blow strongest, then ride them as far and as long as you can!

    Are you so sure that "pursuit of knowledge for the sake of knowledge" is any more... what? Pure?

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Your sails have *to grow fulsome) is what I meant, of course... and for how long did you plan on keeping this little device a secret? I have eagle eyes for your most esoteric texts, you know!

    ReplyDelete